Thursday, November 5, 2015

Book Suggestion: In the Shadow of the Banyan


Have you ever found a random book that you’ve heard nothing about and decided to pick it up and give it a chance? It’s like the reading equivalent to a blind date. You just don’t know how it’ll turn out. But how awesome is it when those books turn out to be amazing? Maybe we just have lower expectations and find ourselves pleasantly surprised. Or maybe it serves as a reminder that our next favorite book could be waiting just around the corner!


I’ve experienced this discovery-of-unexpectedly-great-book feeling before. One of the best is the time when I decided to get the book “In the Shadow of the Banyan” by Vaddey Ratner. I stumbled upon the kindle version while it was on sale and I happened to be looking for a new read (though I suppose I’m pretty much always looking for a new read). So I went for it and started reading. And I kept reading. I devoured the book.
                                                        
(Just look at how gorgeous this cover is!)

Loosely based on the author’s childhood, “In the Shadow of the Banyan” tells the story of a young girl named Raami who lives with her family in Cambodia during the emergence of the communist Khmer Rouge. We follow their journey as they struggle to both stay together as well as stay alive. Raami is a curious child full of life and love who must learn to adapt to the harsh world around her. If I had to sum it up in a few words I would describe it simply as “tragically beautiful”. (Spoiler alert: You will fall in love with the characters. And you will also cry.)


But seriously, the writing was great. I literally stopped reading at times to just admire the author’s lovely descriptions and savour her brilliant prose. To give you a taste, here’s a quote from the book in which Raami’s father says, “You see Raami, as beautiful as this temple is, it’s only a tiny, modest glimpse of what is divinely possible in all of us. We are capable of extraordinary beauty if we dare to dream”. I recommend this book as a must read. So go read it now, and thank me later.

-Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment